We have shared at few Taste of Africa evenings and can still do more. You invite your friends and we bring everything else.
- We will share about Africa Inland Mission: what is our mission and our priority.
- We will share how God got us to the point of laying aside the American dream for God’s dream for the nations.
- We will share who are the San Bushman and why we are going to live among them.
- We will share how you can get involved in what God is already doing.
- We will have a time for questions and answers.
- Then we will fellowship over dessert with African coffee and tea.
Contact us if you are willing to host an evening for us.
Below is everyone’s favorite recipe so far.
Crunchies – Traditional South African Oatmeal Cookie Bars
- 4 cups (11 ½ oz) regular oats (not quick cooking)
- 3 cups (9 oz) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup (4 ½ oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups (10 ½ oz) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter (salted) or stick margarine (I use butter)
- 3 tablespoons (2 3/8 oz) golden syrup or honey
- ¼ cup low fat milk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- vegetable or canola oil spray
- Set the oven rack in the middle, and preheat oven to 325 degrees F. (160 C)
- Spray 10 x 15” jelly roll pan with canola oil spray.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients (except for baking soda) very well.
- Melt butter (or margarine) and syrup (or honey) in a small bowl in the microwave – about 1 minute. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir baking soda into just under ¼ cup milk, making sure it dissolves completely.
- Add the cooled butter mixture and the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix very well with a spoon—or even better, just get in there with your hands! Make sure to incorporate dry ingredients at the bottom of the bowl.
- Distribute evenly on prepared baking sheet. Press down very well with the back of a flat spoon, or roll with a rolling pin. (I distribute and flatten a bit with the spoon and then use the rolling pin to compact and even out.) Push down any edges that come up with your fingers or the spoon.
- Bake for 25 – 35 minutes until golden brown. Rotate pan after 16 – 18 minutes. Keep an eye on them; if browning too quickly cover loosely with foil. And/or turn the oven down to 300 degrees F for the last five to ten minutes of baking. I usually cover them with foil after 16 – 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set on wire cooling rack for 10 – 12 minutes. Cut while still warm into 1 1/2 inch squares, with a sharp, serrated knife—preferably with a round tip.
- Allow to cool completely before removing from pan. You might have to carefully run the knife through the cuts again before removing them.
Recipe from: www.ornabakes.com/2012/10/crunchies-traditional-south-african-oatmeal-cookie-bars/